Klay Thompson is an American professional basketball player in the NBA who continually dazzle fans with his amiable tricks and antics in the game of basketball. He always seems to rise above the sea of exceptional talents to carve a name for his incredible prowess, impressive flexibility and unrelenting disposition. We give insight into the meticulous rise to stardom of this ace basketballer in our Klay Thompson biography facts, childhood and personal life.
Table of Contents
Klay Thompson Biography Facts
|Full Name:||Klay Alexander Thompson|
|Nickname:||Splash Brother; Buddha|
|Born:||February 8, 1990 (age 29)|
|Place of Birth:||Los Angeles; United States of America|
|Current Team:||Golden State Warriors|
|Net Worth:||$38 million|
|Height:||6 feet 7 inches|
|Weight:||215 Ibs (98 kg)|
|Education:||Santa Margarita Catholic High School; Washington State University|
|Parents:||Mychal Thompson (father); Julie Thompson (mother)|
|Siblings:||Mychel Thompson; Trayce Thompson|
|Partner:||Eiza Gonzalez (girlfriend)|
Klay Thompson Childhood and Early Life
Born in Los Angeles to Mychal Thompson (father) and Julie Thompson (mother), Thompson’s love for basketball began when he was in high school. Thompson befriended NBA star, Kevin Love at the tender age of 2. Thompson was raised in Los Angeles before his family moved to Oregon when he was 2. At the age of 14, his family relocated to California.
Klay Thompson Basketball Career
High School Career
Thompson played for San Margarita Catholic High School (SMCHS), where he led his team to the Division III Championship. At the championship, Thompson put forth a great performance earning seven three-pointers in a game, which saw him part with the Division III State player of the year and League MVP award. He was also named to the EA Sports Second Team All American.
While playing for the Washington State Cougars in college, Thompson consistently continued in his impressive performance trajectory as he received the honour of being among the Pac-10 All-Freshman Team.
In his sophomore year at Washington State, Thompson was enlisted to the All-Pac-10 First team. He was a two time Pac-10 Player of the Week honoree and also became the fastest player to reach 1000 points. Still, as a junior, Thompson was named to the All-Pac-10 first team after leading the Pac-10 score chart. Thompson also reached the feat of becoming the Washington State Cougar 3rd highest scorer.
Golden State Warriors (2011–present)
Following his Junior season success, Thompson enlisted for the 2011 NBA draft. He was picked by the Golden State Warriors as it 11th over-all pick.
After Thompson was snubbed out of the 2012 NBA All-star weekend Rising Stars Challenge, he improved notably in his gameplay. Following his improved performance, Thompson was named to the NBA All-Rookie First Team. In January 2013, Thompson and teammate Stephen Curry, scored the highest three-pointers, earning the duo the nickname ‘Splash Brothers’. The ‘Splash Brothers’ scored a combined 483 three-pointers, the highest recorded in the NBA.
In the 2015/16 season, Thompson participated in the All-Star Weekend three-point contest, which he won. Thompson also helped his side to the 2016 NBA finals, where they lost to Cleveland Cavaliers.
Also, in the 2016/17 season, he featured in the three-point contest but wasn’t able to defend his title. He, however, helped the Golden State Warriors to their second NBA title after defeating the Cleveland Cavaliers.
The 2017/18 campaign was also a successful one for Thompson as he became the 11th player in the Warriors history to score 9000+ points. He was also part of the Warrior squad who won a second successive NBA title.
The 2018/19 season, saw Thompson significantly improve in his defence as he was named to the NBA All-Defensive team.
National Team Career
Thompson has played at various levels for the USA National side. Thompson won gold in 2009, at the U-19 World Championship in New Zealand. He helped the USA National team clinch gold at the 2014 FIBA World Cup. He also repeated the feat at the 2016 Rio De Janeiro Olympic. Thompson was also one of the 27 players invited to the 2013 USA Basketball Men’s National Team mini-camp.
Klay Thompson Personal Life
- Klay Thompson’s father is a former NBA star. He played for the Los Angeles Lakers where he won two NBA championship. Thompson’s father was the no.1 overall pick by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 1978 NBA draft.
- His mother, Julie, played volleyball in college for the University of Porto and University of San Fransico.
- Thompson’s older brother, Mychel, played for a period for NBA side Cleveland Cavaliers.
- His younger brother Trayce was selected by the Chicago White Sox in the 2009 Major League Baseball draft. He now plays for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Thompson has been in various relationships with several ladies. Despite his involvement with several ladies, it has never devolved into any known scandal. He was in a relationship with Bill Duffy for six years. He also dated a female basketball player, Tifanny Suarez. In 2015, his then-girlfriend Hannah Stocking revealed that she caught Thompson in bed, having a groupie, which led to their eventual break-up. He has been linked to Laura Harrier. It is rumoured that Thompson is currently dating ‘Godzilla’ actress Eiza Gonzalez. Despite these rumours, Thompson is currently single.
- Thompson has been involved in various charitable programs which include a $25,000 donation the KIPP Bay Area School. He was awarded Alvin Attles Community Impact Award in 2015 for his charity efforts in the Bay Area. In 2014, he was awarded the NBA Cares Community Assist Award which saw the NBA donate $10,000 on his behalf to the Good Tidings Foundation.
- Thompson has been named Western Conference Player of the month four times.
- Thompson and his father are one of the very few father-son duos in the NBA to have won the NBA Championship.
Klay Thompson Highlights, Achievements and Awards
- NBA champion (2015, 2017, 2018)
- NBA All-Star (2015–2019)
- All-NBA Third Team (2015, 2016)
- NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2019)
- NBA Three-Point Contest champion (2016)
- NBA All-Rookie First Team (2012)
- First-team All-Pac-10 (2010, 2011)
At SportyTell.com, we strive for fairness and accuracy.
If you have concerns about something that doesn’t look right in this Klay Thompson Biography Facts, Childhood And Personal life, please don’t hesitate to contact us.